On-Demand Youth Leadership Program: Climate Adaptation and Resilience
Adult Mentor Application
The On-Demand Youth Leadership Program (YLP): Climate Adaptation and Resilience is an initiative of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA), administered by Legacy International, that brings together approximately 20 youth participants (ages 15-18) and adult mentors from Malawi, Mozambique, Uganda and the United States together for a three-week U.S.-based exchange focused on building adaptation and resiliency skills in response to climate change.
Four (4) students and one (1) adult educator from each of the countries listed above will be competitively selected to participate.
Adult Mentor – Program Experience and Role
- The adult mentor (one per country) will gain new skills in youth leadership development and environmental stewardship as they travel to the United States with the group and help facilitate learning.
- He/she will guide young leaders through a five-month experience culminating in the implementation of community-based projects.
- The selected candidate will be trained to facilitate and assist youth as they complete community-based projects, and they will assist with all logistical arrangements in the country to ensure selected students complete paperwork and all necessary items to be ready to participate.
- During the community-based project phase, the adult educator will mentor specific individual and student pairings as well as develop projects and lesson plans for his/her colleagues or youth groups. He/she will help students participate in monthly virtual check -ins and coaching sessions with Legacy team.
Adult Selection Criteria
- Be 25 years or older as of December 1, 2022
- Be a citizen of Malawi, Mozambique, and Uganda (Individuals with dual U.S. citizenship are not eligible for this program)
- Be living in home country at the time of the exchange and during the follow-on component
- Have proficiency in English
- Have experience teaching or working with teenage youth around the themes of leadership and/or environmental sustainability
- Have demonstrated strong leadership skills
- Have demonstrated interest in environmental sustainability
- Have a sincere interest in community engagement/service
- Have experience with virtual learning platforms and techniques
- Be willing to take on the role of offering instructional support, coordinating logistics and committing to the continued mentorship of youth participants through the community project phase.
Please note: Preference will be given to individuals who
- have not previously traveled to the United States.
- have not participated in any in-person ECA-funded program in the United States within the past three years or accepted a scholarship for an impending U.S. Government-funded exchange program.
There is no application fee.
The United States Government will pay for all travel to and from the United States, program-related costs and other incidentals.
Application Deadline is December 17, 2022
On-Demand Youth Leadership Program: Climate Adaptation and Resilience - Adult Mentor Application Form
Please review the eligibility criteria and program details before completing the application. Application deadline is November 17, 2022. Please fill out the application and answer all questions carefully and completely in English. The information you provide on this application is the basis for selecting participants for this program. Semifinalists will be selected for interview in late November/early December 2022 and final notifications will be made by late-December.