Applications open December 1, 2018 to February 1, 2019.
TechGirls participants are selected based on the eligibility requirements below. Independent selection committees composed of industry leaders and regional experts review applications. United States Embassy personnel in your country of permanent residence interview semifinalists.
2019 Eligibility Requirements
Students eligible to apply are those who:
- Are from one of the following eligible countries:
- United States
- Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia;
- Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan
- Are between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange;
- Have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies;
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in technology;
- Have strong English language skills;
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness;
- Will attend at least one additional semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country; and
- Are committed to completing a community-based project upon their return home.
- Preference will be given to those who have limited or no prior experience in the United States. You are not eligible if you have travelled to the United States in the last three years as part of any other ECA exchange program.
Please note that family members of U.S. Embassy or Consulate staff or U.S. Department of State employees are not eligible to apply.
TechGirls encourages people with diverse backgrounds and skills to apply, including individuals with disabilities.
The 2019 TechGirls application opened on December 1, 2018 and closes at 09:00PM EST on February 1, 2019. Semifinalists will be contacted via email in/around March 1 for the next stage of interviews. Final decisions will be made in mid-April. All applicants will be notified of the results of their application.