On-Demand Youth Leadership Program: Climate Adaptation and Resilience
The On-Demand Youth Leadership Program (YLP): Climate Adaptation and Resilience is an initiative of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA), administered by Legacy International, that brings together approximately 20 youth participants (ages 15-18) and adult mentors from Malawi, Mozambique, Uganda, and the United States, together for a three-week U.S.-based exchange focused on on building adaptation and resiliency skills in response to climate change. .
Four (4) students and one (1) adult educator from each of the countries listed above will be competitively selected to participate.
Student applicants must be:
- Be between 15 and 18 years old by December 1, 2022.
- Be a citizen of Malawi, Mozambique and Uganda (Individuals with dual U.S. citizenship are not eligible for this program).
- Be living in their home country at the time of the exchange and during the follow-on component.
- Have proficiency in English.
- Demonstrate interest in youth leadership development.
- Demonstrate initiative, strong communication skills, and an energetic, positive attitude.
- Have the ability to work cooperatively in a team and be open to various opinions and perspectives.
- Commit to the follow-on application of Community-based Project (e.g., peer education workshop or service or environmental project).
- Have permission from parent(s) or legal guardian(s) to participate in the program.
- Have general awareness of climate change impact on the community and demonstrate some familiarity and interest with issues of environmental sustainability and clean energy.
Please note: Preference will be given to individuals who:
- have not previously traveled to the United States.
- have not participated in any in-person ECA-funded program in the United States within the past three years or accepted a scholarship for an impending U.S. Government-funded exchange program.
There is no application fee.
On-Demand Youth Leadership Program: Climate Adaptation and Resilience-Student Application Form
Please review the eligibility criteria and program details before completing the application. The application deadline is November 17, 2022. Instructions for completing this application: Please fill out the application and answer all questions carefully and completely in English. The information you provide on this application is the basis for selecting participants for this program. Semi-finalists will be contacted for an interview in late November/early December 2022 and final notifications will be made by December 22, 2022.