On-Demand Youth Leadership Program: Digital Literacy
The On-Demand Youth Leadership Program (ODYLP): Digital Literacy is an initiative of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). It brings together approximately 24 youth participants (ages 15-18) and adult mentors from Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and the United States for a three-week U.S.-based exchange focused on digital literacy and the use of social media to address community issues.
Unique opportunity for high school students and educators from Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru.
Up to seven (7) students and one (1) adult educator from each of the countries listed above will be competitively selected to participate.
Student applicants must:
- Be between 15 and 18 years old by December 1, 2023;
- Be a citizen of Colombia, Ecuador, Peru (Individuals with dual U.S. citizenship are not eligible for this program);
- Be living in their home country at the time of the exchange and during the follow-on component;
- Have proficiency in English;
- Demonstrate interest in youth leadership development;
- Demonstrate initiative, strong communication skills, and an energetic, positive attitude;
- Have the ability to work cooperatively in a team and be open to various opinions and perspectives;
- Commit to the follow-on application of community-based Project (e.g., peer education workshop or service project);
- Have permission from parent(s) or legal guardian(s) to participate in the program;
- Have general awareness of social media's impact on the community and demonstrate interest in digital literacy.
Please note - Preference will be given to individuals who:
- have not previously traveled to the United States.
- have not participated in any in-person ECA-funded program in the United States within the past three years or accepted a scholarship for an impending U.S. Government-funded exchange program.
- Family members of U.S. Department of State employees are ineligible.
There is no application fee.
Application Deadline is July 21, 2023 at 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time USA
The United States government will pay for all travel to and from the United States, program related costs, and other incidentals.
On-Demand Youth Leadership Program: Digital Literacy-Student Application Form
Please review the eligibility criteria and program details before completing the application. The application deadline is July 21, 2023 at 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time in USA. Instructions for completing this application: Please fill out the application and answer all questions carefully and completely in English. The information you provide on this application is the basis for selecting participants for this program. Semi-finalists will be contacted for an interview in late July/early August 2023 and final notifications will be made by September 6, 2023.