On-Demand Youth Leadership Program: Digital Literacy
Adult Mentor Application
The On-Demand Youth Leadership Program (ODYLP): Digital Literacy is an initiative of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). It brings together approximately 24 youth participants (ages 15-18) and adult mentors from Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and the United States for a three-week U.S.-based exchange focused on digital literacy and the use of social media to address community issues.
Unique opportunity for high school students and educators from Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru.
Up to seven (7) students and one (1) adult educator from each of the countries listed above will be competitively selected to participate.
Adult Mentor – Program Experience and Role
- The adult mentor (one per country) will gain new skills in youth leadership development and digital literacy as they travel to the United States with the group and help facilitate learning.
- He/she will guide young leaders through a five-month experience culminating in the implementation of community-based projects.
- The selected candidate will be trained to facilitate and assist youth as they complete community-based projects, and they will assist with all logistical arrangements in the country to ensure selected students complete paperwork and all necessary items to be ready to participate.
- During the community-based project phase, the adult educator will mentor specific individual and student pairings as well as develop projects and lesson plans for his/her colleagues or youth groups. He/she will help students participate in monthly virtual check -ins and coaching sessions with Legacy team.
Adult Selection Criteria
- Be 25 years or older as of December 1, 2023;
- Be a citizen of Colombia, Ecuador, Peru (Individuals with dual U.S. citizenship are not eligible for this program);
- Be living in home country at the time of the exchange and during the follow-on component;
- Have proficiency in English;
- Have experience teaching or working with teenage youth around the themes of leadership and/or digital literacy;
- Have demonstrated strong leadership skills;
- Have demonstrated interest in social media;
- Have a sincere interest in community engagement/service;
- Be willing to take on the role of offering instructional support, coordinating logistics and committing to the continued mentorship of youth participants through the community project phase.
Please note - Preference will be given to individuals who
- have not previously traveled to the United States.
- have not participated in any in-person ECA-funded program in the United States within the past three years or accepted a scholarship for an impending U.S. Government-funded exchange program.
- Family members of U.S. Department Of State employees are not eligible.
There is no application fee.
The United States Government will pay for all travel to and from the United States, program-related costs and other incidentals.
Application Deadline is July 21, 2023 at 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time USA
On-Demand Youth Leadership Program: Digital Literacy - Adult Mentor Application Form
Please review the eligibility criteria and program details before completing the application. Application deadline is July 21, 2023 at 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time in USA. Please fill out the application and answer all questions carefully and completely in English. The information you provide on this application is the basis for selecting participants for this program. Semifinalists will be selected for interview in late July/early August 2023 and final notifications will be made by September 6, 2023.